At the Asian Weightlifting Championships 2023, which will begin on Friday in Jinju, South Korea, Mirabai Chanu, Jeremy Lalrinnunga, and Achinta Sheuli, both of whom won silver medals at the Tokyo Olympics, will compete. The continental championships, the second qualifying event for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games, will see six Indian weightlifters compete.
The qualifying events began with Mirabai Chanu’s victory in the women’s 49-kg division at the World Weightlifting Championships 2022 in Colombia. Based on their total results (snatch, clean, and jerk), weightlifters competing in these qualifying events will be able to raise their Olympic Qualification Ranking (OQR).
At the conclusion of the qualification period for the Paris Olympics on April 28, 2024, the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) will publish the list of ten qualified athletes in each Olympic weight category, with a maximum of one athlete per nation.
Additionally, she will be participating for the first time since completing a five-month rehabilitation program at NIS Patiala. Last year, the Asian Weightlifting Championships were held in Bahrain’s Manama. In the women’s 45-kg competition, Harshada Garud took home the bronze medal. India won only one medal in the contest.
May 5, Friday
- Women’s 45kg – 7:30 AM IST
- Women’s 49kg (Group B) – 9:30 AM IST
- Men’s 55kg – 11:30 AM IST
- Women’s 49kg (Group A) – 2:30 PM IST
May 6, Saturday
- Men’s 61kg (Group B) – 7:30 AM IST
- Women’s 55kg – 11:30 AM IST
- Men’s 61kg (Group A) – 2:30 PM IST
May 7, Sunday
- Women’s 59kg (Group B) – 7:30 AM IST
- Men’s 67kg – 11:30 AM IST
- Women’s 59kg (Group A) – 2:30 PM IST
May 8, Monday
- Men’s 73kg (Group B) – 9:30 AM IST
- Women’s 64kg – 11:30 AM IST
- Men’s 73kg (Group A) – 2:30 PM IST
May 9, Tuesday
- Women’s 71kg (Group B) – 7:30 AM IST
- Women’s 71kg (Group A) – 11:30 AM IST
- Men’s 81kg – 2:30 PM IST
May 10, Wednesday
- Men’s 89kg (Group B) – 7:30 AM IST
- Women’s 76kg – 9:30 AM IST
- Men’s 89kg (Group A) – 11:30 AM IST
- Women’s 81kg – 2:30 PM IST
May 11, Thursday
- Women’s 87kg – 11:30 AM IST
- Men’s 96kg – 2:30 PM IST
May 12, Friday
- Men’s 102kg (Group B) – 7:30 AM IST
- Men’s 102kg (Group A) – 9:30 AM IST
- Men’s 109kg – 12:30 PM IST
May 13, Saturday
- Women’s +87kg – 9:30 AM IST
- Men’s +109kg – 12:30 PM IST
Indian Athletes :
Harshada Garud was the solitary medallist in the past release of the mainland titles (bronze decoration in grab and aggregate). Jhilli Dalabehara won the women’s 69 kg weight category gold in 2020, while Mirabai Chanu won bronze and set a new world record in the clean and jerk lifting 119 kg event.
- Women: Mirabai Chanu (49kg), Bindyarani Devi (55kg)
- Men: Shubham Todkar (61kg), Jeremy Lalrinnunga (67kg), Achinta Sheuli (73kg), Narayana Ajith (73kg)
Where to watch from India :
On Olympic Channel, the 2023 Asian Weightlifting Championships will be streamed live. The Asian Weightlifting Championships 2023 will be streamed live on the YouTube channel of the Korea Weightlifting Federation. There will be no broadcast of the Asian Weightlifting Titles 2023 on any Television station in India.