Maria Sharapova is one of the most successful and popular tennis players of all time. She has won five Grand Slam titles, an Olympic silver medal, and numerous other trophies in her illustrious career. She is also known for her beauty, fashion sense, and business ventures.
However, Sharapova’s journey to the top was not easy. She faced many challenges, including injuries, doping scandals, and rivalries. In this blog, we will explore her life and career, education, net worth and lifestyle, and much more.
Maria Sharapova is a tall and athletic woman with blonde hair and green eyes. She plays right-handed with a two-handed backhand. Moreover, she is known for her powerful serve, aggressive baseline game, and mental toughness.
HAVE YOU CHECKED: Tennis Player Maria Sharapova Net Worth Breakdown: Endorsements and more
|Business Ventures||$20 million|
Early Life and Career:
Born on April 19, 1987, Sharapova started playing tennis at the age of four and soon showed great potential. At the age of six, she attended a clinic in Moscow where she met Martina Navratilova, who advised her to train in the United States. In 1994, Sharapova and her father moved to Florida, where she enrolled at the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy with a scholarship.
|2004||Breakthrough at Wimbledon|
|2005||Reached world number one ranking|
|2014||Career Grand Slam completion, 2014|
Personal Life and Education
Maria Sharapova speaks Russian, English, and some French. Further, she is a fan of soccer and basketball and supports FC Barcelona and Los Angeles Lakers. She is also interested in fashion and art and has launched her own clothing line and perfume brand.
|DOB||19 April 1987|
|Age (2022)||36 years|
|School||The Keystone School|
Net Worth and Lifestyle:
Maria Sharapova is among the world’s wealthiest female athletes, with an estimated net worth of approximately $180 million according to Celebrity Net Worth. However, most of her income comes from tennis winnings and endorsement deals with brands like Nike, Evian, Porsche, Avon, Head, NetJets etc.
|Net Worth||$180 million|
|Properties in||California, Florida, New York etc.|
|Luxury Cars||Porsche Panamera GTS, a Range Rover Autobiography, a Mercedes-Benz SL550, etc.|
10 Facts About Maria Sharapova:
1. She is the only child of Yuri and Yelena Sharapova, who left their home in Gomel, Belarus, after the Chornobyl nuclear disaster in 1986.
2. Sharapova’s talent was first spotted by Martina Navratilova, one of the greatest tennis players of all time when she was just six years old.
3. In 1994, with $700 borrowed from her grandparents, Sharapova and her father moved to the US. Her mother joined them later due to visa issues.
4. Sharapova turned professional at the age of 14 in 2001. Additionally, she made her Grand Slam debut at the 2003 Australian Open, where she lost in the first round.
5. Sharapova became an overnight sensation when she won the Wimbledon title in 2004 at the age of 17, defeating Serena Williams in the final.
6. Sharapova secured four more Grand Slam titles: the US Open in 2006, the Australian Open in 2008, and the French Open in 2012 and 2014. Moreover, she is one of only ten women in history to have won all four major tournaments, and the only Russian to achieve this feat.
7. Sharapova also won a silver medal at the 2012 London Olympics, where she represented Russia in singles.
8. Sharapova is fluent in Russian, English, and French. She also speaks some Spanish and German.
9. She loves reading books, especially detective stories like Sherlock Holmes.
10. Sharapova considers London to be one of her favorite cities in the world, especially British accent, which she finds “sexy”.
Money Factor: Salary and Endorsement Fees:
Maria Sharapova has earned a total of $38,777,962 from her tennis career as of June 2021. This makes her the fourth-highest-earning female tennis player of all time. According to Forbes, she was the highest-paid female athlete in the world for 11 consecutive years from 2005 to 2015, peaking at $30 million in 2015. She has endorsed over 20 brands in her career, earning over $300 million from them.
|Tennis Winnings||$38.8 million|
|Business Ventures||$20 million|
|Other Income||$10 million|
Relationships and Family:
Maria Sharapova is currently dating British businessman Alexander Gilkes, who is the co-founder and president of Paddle8. They have been together since 2018 and often share their photos on social media. Sharapova is very close to her parents, they supported her throughout her career. She also has a paternal grandmother, Galina, who lives in Belarus.
Maria Sharapova has been involved in several controversies in her career, both on and off the court. The most notable one was her doping scandal in 2016, when she tested positive for meldonium, a substance that had been banned by the WADA since January 1, 2016. She was initially suspended for two years by the International Tennis Federation, but the ban was reduced to 15 months by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Another controversy that Sharapova faced was her rivalry with Serena Williams, which was not only based on their tennis results but also on their personal issues. That she has revealed in her autobiography Unstoppable: My Life So Far.
|Food||Russian & Thai|
|Color||Pink & Yellow|
|Singer||Madonna & Adele|
Maria Sharapova is a former professional tennis player who retired on 26, February 2020 at the age of 32. She is widely regarded as one of the greatest female tennis players of all time, as well as one of the most influential and marketable athletes in the world. She is also a successful entrepreneur, philanthropist, author, and model.
|2004||Won WTA Finals|
|2005||Won the US Open|
|2006||Won the US Open|
|2008||Won Australian Open|
|2012||Won French Open|
|2012||Completed career Grand Slam|
|2012||Won Olympic silver medal|
|2014||Won French Open again|
Maria Sharapova has suffered from many injuries throughout her career, especially to her right shoulder, which required surgery twice. Here are some of the major injuries that affected her performance and ranking:
|2007||Right shoulder inflammation|
|2008||Right shoulder surgery|
|2009||Right elbow injury|
|2013||Right shoulder bursitis|
|2019||Right shoulder surgery|
|Left forearm injury|
- Roger Federer Net Worth Breakdown: Salary, Endorsements and more
- Rafael Nadal Age, Height, Ranking, Injury, Net Worth, and More
- Roger Federer Age, Height, Wife, Retirement, Net worth, and more
- Daniil Medvedev Net Worth Breakdown: Salary, Endorsements, Assets, and more
- Carlos Alcaraz Net Worth Breakdown: Salary, Endorsements, business, Assets, and more